Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Fall's Favorite Things

Crunchy red leaves, fairytale pumpkin squash, big bulky scarves, Chai tea, knit blankets and of course, my Crock Pot!

Now that its gets dark so soon, I feel like my time to cook dinner has shortened.  The kids get home from school, play for an hour and then it's dark outside.  I know we have the same number of hours, but it doesn't feel that way especially since we all get tired earlier.

So I feel like the crock pot gives me extra time.  At around lunch time, I throw some ingredients into the crockpot and forget about it. (OK, so I follow a recipe - it sounds much better though when I say I just "throw in" the ingredients!) Then at dinner time, all I have to do is make a side of pasta or a veggie and set the table.   

I like to make cream based soups because I find them so much cozier and filling, but I don't like using actual cream.  Instead, I boil a whole cauliflower (minus the green part) until it's soft.  Then, drain it and throw it in the blender or food processor with a little skim milk or Earth Balance buttery spread.  I know it sounds weird, but what you get is rich cream that doesn't taste like cauliflower. 

I first got this idea from the South Beach Diet Book's mashed "potatoes" that was actually boiled and mashed cauliflower.  I add this rich cream to the soup and no one knows the difference.  I add it at the end though, right before I serve it.  I don't know why, but I feel like it might retain more nutrients if I don't let it sit in the crock pot for hours.  I know this doesn't make sense since I just boiled it to death! 

Yesterday, I made New England Clam Chowder with cauliflower instead of cream and everyone loved it - no one knew!  It tastes great and it's an easy way to slip in some extra nutrients like vitamin K and C, fiber, potassium, boran, phosphorus, and B vitamins. 

Please feel free to share some of your favorite Fall things and healthy tips.  Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment