Sunday, December 12, 2010

Maybe Just a Small Bite

Photo compliments of USDA Agricultural Research Service, where researchers have selectively bred carrots with pigments that reflect almost all colours of the rainbow.  Photo by Stephen Ausmus.

I was food shopping with my kids today when they asked for something new.  It was a new colorful gummy candy that they wanted for their snack in school.  I said, "Sure, just see what's in it."  My 8 year-old read the ingredients and said, "Nevermind, it had food coloring in it."  My 4 year-old daughter then asked, "Then why is OK that we eat the gummy bunnies at home."  I explained to her that some candy makers use chemicals to color their candy and others use colorful fruits and vegetables to color their candy.  She was fascinated by this concept and right away started naming every color of every fruit and vegetable she could think of. 

When we got home, she rushed over to the gummy bunnies and asked me to read to her what they used to color the candy. "This candy maker uses black carrot juice."  She was amazed.  They both wanted to find a picture of black carrots on the Internet right away.  We found the one above which I thought was worth sharing.

So often I hear parents complain that they can't get their kids to eat healthy and they ask how I get my kids to eat such out-of-the-ordinary foods.  I tell them that I always made sure not to offer them anything I was eating.  And at the very worst, never force kids to eat anything.  (I was 5 years old when I was forced to eat a tomato.  The memory is vivid and not a positive one!)  Instead, I'd ask them if they wanted what I was having and if they said no, I'd prepare it for myself (something interesting like coconut milk brown rice) and I'd prepare for them something bland like a ham sandwich.  I wouldn't offer them any of mine, but I'd be sure to make a big deal about how good it was.  Then, they'd ask,  "Can I try?"  And I'd say, "Well, maybe just a small bite.  I don't have much and this is REALLY good."  Nine times out of ten, they loved it and ended up eating my food instead of theirs. 

I didn't have to do this (manipulate them) for too long.  After a little while, they began to trust that my food tasted good.  I think it's all about trust.  They need to know that if they don't like it, they won't be forced to eat it.  There are so many fruits and vegetables out there that if they don't like one or two, you can always find some that they do like.

If you want to get your kids to try new foods, let them have some control.  Go to the grocery store together and each week have them pick out something new - something they have never had before.  It could be anything from a new brand of chocolate or the horned fruit in the produce isle.  Let them begin to associate food with fun. 

Who knows if these tips will work on your kids.  All I know is that they worked for mine.  Good luck and keep trying.  I'd love to hear some of your ideas too. 

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment